This access statement for The Old Stables Bed & Breakfast is available by email or post. Please state if you would prefer a large print version.
Access Statement for The Old Stables Bed & Breakfast, Hurlingpot Farm, Chelynch, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 4PY
The Old Stables Bed & Breakfast is a 17th Century Grade II listed converted barn providing guest accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis. The age and grade listing of our building dictates accessibility constraints and the details below will provide you with further information. Please do contact us if you require any further clarification.
- We are in a rural location and having your own transportation is recommended.
- Our nearest train station is at Castle Cary which is 9.6 miles from us (approx. 20 minutes by car). Taxi service from Castle Cary is available but should be booked in advance.
- Our nearest airport is Bristol Airport which is 21.9 miles from us (approx. 35 minutes by car).
- Due to the age of our building we advise that guests with mobility or visual impairments are accompanied during their stay.
- We have a website theoldstablesbandb.com and can be found on FaceBook and Instagram.
- Our Access Statement is available on request and can be found in our in-room information folders.
- We can be contacted by telephone, email or Facebook Messenger (details below).
Arrival and Car Parking
- If driving to The Old Stables, SatNav will take you to the area of the Poachers Pocket Pub. We are the right turn (coming from the Old Frome Road) before the Poachers Pocket or the second left (coming from the A361 on to Chelynch Road) after the Poachers Pocket.
- There is a farm style hanging name sign located at the stone pillars at the end of our driveway.
- Follow the tree-line driveway all the way to the top and you will see a wooden house sign directing to you to the B&B attached to the stone wall.
- Our parking area is located on the property on a stone pebble chip surface. The parking area is clearly marked and lit by security sensor lights at night.
- There are lights at the main house entrance.
- There are 6 stone steps to the main entrance door which are each 14 cm high.
- We are always happy to assist with your luggage from the parking area to the main entrance.
Main Entrance & Reception
- All guest rooms lead from our main entrance hall.
- Our dining room leads from our main entrance hall.
Public Areas – Lounge and WC
- A small public lounge area with 2 two seater couches and coffee table is located at one end of our dining hall.
- A small public WC is accessible from our dining area.
- Breakfast is served in our dining room – access as above.
- There is one long pine farm house dining table and two chairs with arms can be provided if requested. All other chairs are regular wheel back chairs without arms.
- Breakfast menus are available in large type if requested.
- All food is prepared and served to the tables personally by ourselves.
- We are happy to cater to any special dietary requirements with advance notification.
- We do not offer a laundry facility but please do let us know if you have a laundry emergency!
- An iron and ironing board can be supplied on request.
- We have one ground floor room that is accessed by two steps that are 14 cm in depth and 103 cm wide which is suitable for limited mobility guests who have some independent walking capacity.
- Our first floor rooms are both accessed by a staircase with hand rail. There are 11 steps up to the landing and the steps are 20 cm in depth and 83 cm wide.
- Audible smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in every guest room and throughout the rest of the house.
- All guest rooms have both centrally operated ceiling lighting and bedside table lamps giving good light levels.
- All guest rooms have FreeView television with remote control, cordless kettle, alarm clock, hairdryer and silent mini fridge (stocked with fresh milk and bottled water), tea, coffee, biscuits.
- The two first floor bedrooms have a two seater sofa, coffee table, super-king bed (can be made into twins on request), chest of drawers, two bedside tables with lamps, built in wardrobe, blackout blinds on windows.
- The ground floor bedroom has a king bed, wardrobe with two drawers, pine unit for tea facilities, one armchair, two bedside tables with lamps.
- All guest rooms are carpeted.
- All guest rooms are tastefully decorated to suit the character of the building.
- All guest rooms are equipped with free standing fans if required.
- All rooms are en-suite.
- One first floor room bathroom has a roll top bath and a separate shower.
- Two rooms have a shower only.
- All bathrooms have an overhead light and a light above the sink with shaver socket.
- All bathrooms have laminate flooring.
Grounds and Gardens
- The Old Stables has a grassed area to the west of the house and a stone chipped area to the south of the house. Seating and a picnic table are available on the grassed area for our guests to use.
- There is a large paddock to the south which is used as our designated “dog field”. It is fully fenced.
- As we are rural, there are some surfaces which are uneven or sloping.
- There is a footpath to the north of the house that leads to the surrounding countryside.
- All exits are clearly marked.
- Safety lights with removable flashlights are in each hallway.
- The house are gardens are non-smoking.
- Mobile phone reception is variable.
- We are, on the most part, available for our guests and are always happy to share local attraction information.
- We have free wi-fi with wi-fi extenders located in the house.
- If we are away from the house, all guests will have our mobile number to contact us.
- We accept Credit and Debit cards.
Our address is:
The Old Stables
Chelynch, Shepton Mallet
Somerset, BA4 4PY
Phone: 01749 880635